DELPHI HOME AVENUE / WRIGHT BROTHERS REDEVELOPMENT | Site Remediation and Development | Dayton, OH
When Orville and Wilbur Wright began constructing the first of their two airplane manufacturing hangars in 1910, the property they found just 2.5 miles west of downtown Dayton, Ohio was nothing more than a farmer's field. Purchased in August 1910 for $4,950, the 2.5-acre farm field would become home to The Wright Company, where the brothers researched and designed 13 different airplane models and eventually constructed about 120 planes.
Fast-forward 105 years and today you'll find the original hangars visible to the public again, now that more than 1.2 million square feet of an empty former Delphi manufacturing plant in the Arlington Heights neighborhood of Dayton has been demolished and remediated. Shuttered in 2009, the maze of 20 manufacturing buildings covered the majority of the 54-acre property and had previously completely obscured the Wright Bros. hangars from public view, along with three additional identical buildings built before General Motors (GM) acquired the property in 1919. While the buildings are well-known among aviation enthusiasts across the country, the average citizen in Dayton has been largely unaware of their existence – until now. Demolition of the former Delphi manufacturing buildings on Home Avenue in Dayton began in May 2013 and are now complete, paving the way for commercial redevelopment and historic preservation. Still standing and to be preserved on the industrial campus are the two century-old buildings originally constructed by the Wright Company. Hull has played a key role in assessing, acquiring, and remediating this property for future development.
"In December 2012, Home Avenue Redevelopment, LLC took title to this site and in doing so, took a major step forward in preserving a significant piece of Dayton's aviation history," said Brad White, a principal with Home Avenue Redevelopment and vice president of brownfields at Hull. "Today, we begin the next step in the process of restoring this brownfield property to a productive economic reuse by demolishing the blighted buildings on-site and protecting the historic structures for the public."