ERIE STREET REDEVELOPMENT | Site Remediation and Development | Toledo, OH
Hull was instrumental in establishing a public-private partnership to clean up a 5.49-acre former coal gas manufacturing plant in Toledo, Ohio. Located along Swan Creek in Toledo's Warehouse District, the site is the former home of the Toledo Gas Light & Coke Company, where coal gas was manufactured from 1887 through 1918. Columbia Gas of Ohio purchased the property in 1963 to support its natural gas distribution business, then vacated the building in spring 2010 to relocate personnel to other locations throughout northwest Ohio.
The City of Toledo was awarded a $3 million Clean Ohio Revitalization Fund (CORF) grant to clean up a 3.62-acre portion of the property in November 2010. Columbia Gas of Ohio contributed match funds toward property cleanup. The total project value was approximately $5.5 million. The grant helped fund asbestos abatement and demolition of an obsolete 80,340 ft2 building constructed in 1947, and the implementation of remedies to address soil, soil gas and groundwater contamination caused primarily by previous manufactured gas plant operations.
Hull prepared the successful CORF grant application and provided significant input into the grant implementation, property transfer, and property redevelopment process.
Columbia Gas sold the property to River Road Redevelopment II, LLC - a development company formed by principals of Hull - specifically to own and redevelop the site. Plans include constructing a green building following LEED standards and creating a walkway along Swan Creek, an important section of the City's planned 1.5-mile Swan Creek Riverwalk, to help revitalize Toledo's promising Warehouse District. Redevelopment of this property will help maximize many public and private property improvements in the District, including the adjacent Erie Street Market; the City of Toledo's Quilter Environmental Center, home of the Toledo Division of Environmental Services; and many new apartments and condominiums recently constructed in converted warehouse space.