When Orville and Wilbur Wright began constructing the first of their two airplane manufacturing hangars in 1910, the property they found just west of downtown Dayton, Ohio was nothing more than a farmer’s field. Purchased in August 1910, the 2.5-acre farm field would become home to The Wright Company, where the brothers researched and designed 13 different airplane models and eventually constructed about 120 planes.
Fast-forward 108 years and today you’ll find the original hangars visible to the public again, now that more than 1.2 million square feet of the former Delphi manufacturing plant has been demolished and remediated. Hull has played a key role in assessing, acquiring, and remediating this property for future development.
Shuttered in 2009, demolition of the former Delphi manufacturing buildings on Home Avenue began in May 2013, paving the way for commercial redevelopment and historic preservation. Still standing on the industrial campus are the two century-old buildings originally constructed by the Wright Company, and a further three buildings that were later built as part of the original factory complex.
“In December 2012, Home Avenue Redevelopment, LLC took title to this site and in doing so, took a major step forward in preserving a significant piece of Dayton’s aviation history,” said Brad White, a principal with Home Avenue Redevelopment and Vice President of Brownfields at Hull.
Home Avenue Redevelopment, LLC and the City of Dayton received a covenant not to sue under Ohio EPA’s Voluntary Action Program (VAP) in 2017 after investigating and remediating the historic property. By creating Home Avenue Redevelopment, LLC, Hull was instrumental in developing the Clean Ohio project by negotiating and executing the property transaction with Delphi.
Brad White, Ph.D